Cousins

3 out of 5 cousins (and Ella's aunt)
She trailed along behind them replicating whatever it was they were doing. Bouncing the big colorful ball, spinning around and around in their swings, climbing up the slide instead of riding down, shaking their tiny booties to the beat of their favorite song. Whatever it was she wanted to be just like them and be in on all the fun. 

They see each other maybe twice a year, if they are lucky. We try to teach her about her cousins, and her aunts and uncles as much as possible through the miracle of modern technology. You never know how much they absorb. But, it's almost as if they know they are family. They are drawn to each other. 

My heart was full this past weekend when, almost by accident, 2 of my 3 brothers were in town at the same time and our families were able to spend the 4th of July holiday together. The way Ella took to her older cousins was astounding to me. And even when the kids did a Facetime with their cousins who couldn't be there - they were so excited to see their faces on the screen and interact with them as well. Ella would squeal with delight at the sight of her newest baby cousin. 

I remember when I was growing up how each summer we would make the long two day drive to the east coast to spend two weeks with my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. We didn't have the advantage of today's technology to keep in touch throughout the year, but somehow we always adjusted quickly. By the end of those two weeks, we were in tears as we had to go home and leave our family behind for another year. 


I am so grateful to know that my daughter has started to forge those lifelong bonds with her cousins. I still do not see my cousins as often as I would like - but they will always hold a special place in my heart. I can only hope the same for my daughter and her cousins. 


Comments

Popular Posts