Worst-Case Scenario




The other night I could not fall asleep. With all that has been going on in the world at large and even in our immediate circle, it has been difficult to not think about all the bad things which could befall myself and my family. 

As a general rule, I try to stay positive and see life through a "glass is half full" perspective. I tend to drive people crazy when instead of commiserating, I try to help them see the good in every situation. It is what I try to do for myself. For my sanity. 

But, there are those times when I just can't get those horrible thoughts out of my head. When I hear about things that have happened to others and imagine a scenario where my loved ones and I experience something similar. It is then that, if gone unchecked, my imagination gets the best of me and falls down the rabbit hole. 

Here are a few things that I do for myself to help get out of these moments (which I know I am not alone):

- Distract yourself: The other night when my brain started down this path, I told my husband about it as we were getting ready for bed. I knew I wouldn't have been able to fall asleep without removing those thoughts. So, I asked him to tell me some funny stories. And, he obliged. So much so that I had to stop him as he got on a roll and I was getting tired. It is always nice to have someone else there to help save you from yourself. 

- Write it Down: I find that if I get out a pen and paper and am able to write out my concerns or worries - this helps to remove the thoughts from my head. Additionally, sometimes my head is full of all the items on my to-do list. In these times I find it extremely helpful to get all those ideas out of my head and onto a physical check list so that I can rest easy that the details will be attended to eventually. 

- Pray:  or meditate, sit in silence, find your center - whatever this looks like in your particular situation, change your thought process and offer your worries to a higher power outside of yourself. For me, this is prayer. I ask for guidance, peace, and understanding. I ask that the truth be revealed so that I no longer live with thoughts based on fear and misconceptions. 

- Move: Sometimes physically removing yourself from your thoughts can really help. Running, yoga, a workout video, an exercise class, etc. All excellent ways to shift your energy from worried thoughts. 

- Get off the Internet: Especially social media. I cannot stress this one enough. There are so many opinions, misconceptions, conspiracy theories, and misinformed articles out there that it is hard to know what is true sometimes. People also feel much more free to express themselves in ways that they would never dare if they were face to face with a person. The other day, I read someone's comment on a seemingly innocent article posted by a friend of mine about a particular conspiracy theory that sent my imagination into a tailspin. If I had not read that particular comment, I would have been fine (and wouldn't have needed my husband's anecdotes to fall asleep). 


These steps are not a cure-all but they can help to keep you positive, centered, and focused on the more important things in life. 


Comments

Popular Posts