Steady


I am a creature of habit. 

I never moved away from my city of birth. I lived in the same apartment for 8 years. And when we decided to buy a house, it was only a few miles away. We have lived there for 4 years, and I have no intention of moving. Ever. And I have enjoyed working for the same company for nearly a decade. 

Some may read all that and get bored. I know many a wanderer - those who get antsy staying in the same place for too long, always looking for the next adventure to discover, place to live, and thing to do. And that would make me anxious. 

What I love about this is that we are all different. And that makes the world a wonderful to be. We need both types of people. Those who bring stability and the ones who bring adventure. 

I love experiencing new things, traveling to new places, partaking in different cultural traditions, eating new foods. It is thrilling to switch it up every once and a while. And then to come home to my steady, stable, and familiar surroundings. 

I would like to think that this part of me also provides some sort of stability to those around me. That I would be seen as the calm in the storm - the place to rest your weary feet for a while. To take a break from the fast-paced lifestyle and find peace and comfort before continuing on to the great unknown. 

I used to wish that I could be more of an explorer. Be content with throwing caution to the wind and gambling on what the next day would bring. But, as time goes on I have become more comfortable being who I am: steady, reliable, me. And that is not a bad thing. 

Comments

Popular Posts