Away in a Manger

Away in a manger, no crib for a bed,
The little Lord Jesus lay down His sweet head.
The stars in the bright sky looked down where He lay,
The little lord Jesus asleep on the hay.


Oftentimes I will rock my baby girl at night and sing songs to lull her to sleep. The other night, since it is December, I sang a few different Christmas carols to her as she lay on my chest. One of the songs was Away in a Manger. To be honest, I only know the first verse off the top of my head (isn't that the way with all of them?). It worked and soon she was asking to go nigh-nigh. My sweet girl, she just melts my heart sometimes. 

I have been thinking about these lyrics, and the many others that we sing but maybe don't think too hard about. We all know the Christmas story - how there was no room in the inn, and that Mary was essentially forced into giving birth in a dirty stable. Until I gave birth, I don't think I could really comprehend what this meant for this family. I couldn't have imagined bringing a child into the world in those conditions. It makes me stop and give thanks for all that my family does have this holiday season. 

I am grateful for the roof over our heads. The ability to shower our loved ones with gifts hand-picked just for them. The comfort of family and friends who surround us at festive events. The luxury of not only having food to sustain us, but also the ability to enjoy the different flavors and savor the experience. 

There is so much to be grateful for this holiday season. 

It is my hope that we will choose to pause and reflect instead of rush through our to-do lists. Won't you join me? 

Comments

Popular Posts