Me Too


Me too.

Two words – 5 letters – immeasurable impact.

When I shared those two words on Facebook – I joined with nearly every woman I know to demonstrate to all the men out there the magnitude of the problem. Women are objectified every day. Somehow we think we are beyond the blatant chauvinism of the generations before us. I don’t know why that is.  Is it because more women are in the workforce? Because women can actually have a credit card and a mortgage in their own name? Is it because we can vote?

Those things are all amazing. However, the way women are treated has not seemed to change much.

I know that many saw all those status updates and thought to themselves, “What happened to me doesn’t count – it wasn’t out of the ordinary – it is just what guys do.”

I am here to tell you that no matter how small or insignificant the moment seemed to be – if you were made to feel inferior in any way, shape, or form – it counts.

You count.

Your feelings count.

Your privacy counts.

Your choices count.

You are worth more than that.

You are worth being treated with dignity and respect - at all times.

I urge you not to belittle your feelings for the sake of others. Other’s circumstances to not diminish your experience.

I, too, had that thought before I hit “post.” I thought, “I don’t want people to read into this status as worse than it is.” And then I realized that reaction meant I needed to share.

Unfortunately, it would seem we all have been subject to sexual harassment/abuse/aggression in one form or another in our lifetimes. And we probably have not seen the last of it. But, when we start standing up for ourselves and speaking the truth – the easier it will be to do in the moment – and not in hindsight.

I thank my fellow sisters for speaking their truth and I hope you know – it is never too late to join.


Comments

Popular Posts