Aunt Helen's Quilt

 This is the story of my Aunt Helen’s last quilt. I originally wrote this account back in 2011 when I received the quilt. I am now sharing this wonderful story with you. 


In the fall of 2010, I was talking to my maternal grandmother, Anita Spenler, and mentioned that I wanted to purchase a quilt from my Aunt Helen and her friend Orpha. My grandpa, Lenard Spenler’s sister was Helen. She was 95 years old. For as long as I could remember, HelenandOrpha was one word, they were constant companions. They provided a certain comfort to each other for many years and had a beautiful relationship. They were quilters, and many people had come to cherish and covet one of their hand stitched and impeccable quilts.

Helen and Orpha

When I mentioned to my grandma that I wanted to purchase one, she suggested that I visit her in Iowa City one weekend and that we would go and select fabric and a pattern for them to custom make a quilt for me. I was honored and thought it was a lovely idea to have my very own hand stitched quilt from my 95 year old aunt. We made the plans and on October 8, 2010 I made the 4 hour drive from Omaha to Iowa City.

On Saturday, October 9, 2010 my Aunt Dorothy was gracious enough to pick up HelenandOrpha, and then come to my grandparents to pick up my grandma and myself.  We were heading to Kalona, Iowa to pick out fabric at a store called “Stitch N Sew” which was a favorite of HelenandOrpha. They knew the owner and quickly were at home. I knew I wanted a green base fabric and a simple leafy type pattern fabric. I spied the perfect pattern fabric from across the room immediately and then set out to find the base color to accompany it. All the while Orpha was perusing the store for the next pattern for her and Helen to tackle after they finished my quilt. They often created quilts to be sold at numerous charity auctions, and their quilts were widely sought after. Hand stitching quilts has become less popular than machine made, but they are so much more special.

After I had identified my two fabrics, it was time to choose the pattern. I chose a few which had various versions of starbursts and showed them to Helen for her expert opinion. We both agreed that the Hunters Star was classic and beautiful. As the arrangements for the piecing of the quilt was made with the store owner, I was able to sit with my Aunt Helen and gush about how beautiful the quilt was going to be. She seemed genuinely impressed that someone my age was investing her time in something which could seem trivial to our fast moving, Wal-Mart shopping generation. While I could purchase a warm blanket at Wal-Mart, it would never be able to compare to a family made quilt which I can pass to my children and tell them about their remarkable Aunt.

Once we had finished at the store, we decided to stay in Kalona for lunch and then head back into Iowa City. On the way back, one of the ladies suggested we stop for ice cream.  We stopped at a Whitey’s for ice cream cones. I love how ice cream can make women at any age giddy with excitement! That night as I was reflecting I was happy I didn’t wait to ask for my quilt. Sometimes it seems that people wait to do things for their family legacy until they have children to pass it on to. I didn’t want to wait to live my life because I was currently not married and did not have children.

A month later I got the call that the quilt had been pieced and marked and was ready to be picked up so that HelenandOrpha could lovingly hand stitch the entire queen size quilt. I would later hear this story from my grandma: She drove with my grandpa, his sisters Helen and Dorothy, and, of course, Orpha. My grandma recalls that in this drive, the three siblings chatted and reminisced during the entire trip. After the long day, they all felt a closeness they had not felt for some time. Later she would thank me for providing them this trip, I was just pleased to hear that my little quilt was bringing so many people joy.

That night my grandma received a call from Helen, “We got the quilt in the frame! It is so beautiful, I just couldn’t wait to get a few stitches in!”  

The next day my grandma received another call, Helen had passed peacefully in her sleep.  During the months following her passing, Orpha continued to work on the quilt. When she had trouble sleeping, she would occupy her mind by adding stitches to the quilt. From what I have been told, it was a wonderful distraction and comfort for her.

I am so humbled and honored to be the recipient of Helen Spenler’s last quilt. I truly believe that God’s timing in all of this was perfect and the story I have is one of joy and not sorrow.



Since I originally wrote this story, my grandfather, Lenard Spenler, has also passed away. I read this and am so warmed to know that in their last years, they were able to know their contribution to the next generation. It makes me so sad to know that Ella will never get to meet my grandfather, and also her great-great aunt Helen. But I know I carry their memory in the stories I will tell her. 

Comments

  1. I may have purchased on of their quilts in a thrift store. The label says, "handmade by Orpha and Helen 1975". Could that be them? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I send you a photo of the quilt? It is 44" x 54", green and white and has bunnies on it. I live out here in WA, so the quilt has come a long ways! The label actually says, "Quilted by Orpha and Helen 1975."

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. Sent them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebekah from WashingtonAugust 14, 2015 at 11:05 AM

    I treasure the baby quilt I have that Helen and Orpha hand stitched. Thousands of stitches make the green and white quilt with a dozen + bunnies absolutely priceless. The date on the tag is 1975. The quilt is in mint condition, so someone took very good care of it. I'm amazed that it made it all the way to the west coast and wonder what journey it made to make it here. I feel blessed to know who put so much love and prayers into all those stitches. Thank you for your blog! And email me any time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts