A Marriage That Lasts


This past weekend my parents celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary. Read that number again - forty years! That is incredible to me. I have been married just over 3 years and I am amazed at what those years represent. And, they are very much still in love.

I decided to ask them each the same 5 questions about how they make their marriage work. They answered these not knowing what the other said. 

1. How do you think you were able to make it to your 40th anniversary?  

Mom: We never allowed the word divorce to be a part of our vocabulary. It just was never an option with us. Plus, our love has just grown stronger over the years.
Dad:  Because (your mom, Barb) is a saint, she put up with a very self-centered and insecure person.

2. What is the one most important thing you believe makes a strong marriage? 

Mom: I think it is very helpful to have common beliefs and guiding principles. We are both believers in Jesus and live our lives according to the Bible. I think it is also important to share hobbies. We love to bike, read, and hike. We are also both homebodies and love being together. 
Dad: The ability to forgive and that power is greatly enhanced by having a serious and personal relationship with Jesus. 

3. What is your favorite thing about your spouse? 

Mom: First, He is the most faithful man I know. I can trust him completely. He works hard and is committed 100% to me and our marriage. Second, he is just a little quirky, which makes things unpredictable and fun. 
Dad: She is steadfast, steady, committed, not a quitter. She follows through on her commitments. She is organized and diligent. She is brilliant and she treats me better than I deserve.

4. What is the most important lesson marriage has taught you? 

Mom: It has taught me to put others first before myself. I don't always have the right to say what I am thinking, particularly if it will hurt someone else. 
Dad: Consider others (her) more important than yourself.

5. What is one piece of advice you would give to all newlyweds? 

Mom: Before you get married, commit to it for life. Never let divorce enter your minds, and commit to work through whatever comes your way. And take time to have fun and laugh. 
Dad: (With) people being people, there are going to be issues, just don't take yourself too seriously. Most of the issues are pretty silly anyway, laugh at yourself.

It is so sweet to see how in sync they are with their answers. What an accomplishment to aspire for, a lifetime of love and commitment. Thanks for your advice, mom and dad! 

Comments

Popular Posts