Momplaining

Being a mom is hard. 

I usually try and stay positive but sometimes you just have to vent your frustrations. 

Ever since I shared with the world that I was pregnant I have been getting advice (unsolicited and solicited) from mothers, experts, doctors, and strangers. Some of the advice went in one ear and out the other, and later I wished I had listened. Some advice stuck with me, even though I wished it hadn't. 

When I think about all the decisions that have been made regarding the care of my 8 month old daughter since she was born, it makes my head spin. Many of the decisions I have made by myself relying on research, information from our pediatrician, and from input from other moms. My husband has been very supportive of the decisions I bring to him, also relying on all the information I have gathered.  It is exhausting and last week I hit a wall.  

I cried.  

I cried over decisions I wish I had made.  
I cried about things that were out of my control.  
I cried wishing I had all the answers.  
I cried with guilt that I wasn't enjoying every moment with my baby. 

Sometimes you just have to surrender to your feelings and let the emotion flow out of you. I was able to focus again on the truth after allowing myself a moment to just cry.  

My daughter is healthy and growing.  
She is well loved and cared for.  
She is happy.  
She is smart, inquisitive, funny, beautiful... 
The fact that I was reduced to tears over my worry shows that all the decisions I make will be in her best interest.  She is thriving, and in small part, due to me.

I will make mistakes. I have made mistakes. I need to be kind to myself and focus on what is important.  

To all the moms who came before me... I have so much more respect for you!

To all the moms who will follow... I promise it is all worth it - and - I will try to keep my unsolicited advice limited to this blog :)


Comments

Popular Posts