The Meeting of Two Personalities.


This is one of my favorite quotes about relationships. Far before I met my husband I knew that when two people meet and fall in love, it is a magical thing. Something you can't measure with words, pictures, or dating site algorithms. Something intangible. I remember feeling eager to experience it myself. 

And then I met my future husband. It was flirtation at first sight. I was too consumed with myself and what was going on in my life to realize what was going on at first. I had just come out of a few years of aimlessly trying to find the every elusive "love" that people talked about. Being led down dead end paths, and having my heart broken. I was doing my best at that point to protect myself from more pain. 

He was kind, patient, and persistent. He knew before I did. He allowed himself to feel what I did not. When we tell the story about how we met I often tell of the two weeks when he drove me crazy and I almost didn't go on a second date with him. I know that this is mostly because I was not ready to see what he could. Thank goodness for friends who saw it too. 

When I finally let down my guard - I felt it. I knew. I can't tell you the exact moment I knew but there was something so natural about being with him. We don't have a moment when sparks flew. What we had was more meaningful. A connection that even we did not realize how deep it was. 

As the years have gone by we have uncovered many layers to see that we have similar experiences, values, points of view - all that contribute to the incredible partnership we have forged and that I know will grow stronger with time.

Sometimes it is strange to think we have only known each other for 6 years. I know it is cliche, but I have a hard time thinking about a time when he wasn't in my life. He is not only my husband - he has become an extension of who I am. He means so much to me that at times it scares me. But, I would rather have that fear than to go back to life before I knew him. 

I am glad I left my number for that cute waiter 6 years ago... even more glad that he called (2 days later) ;)... and most glad that I gave in to a second date. 

I love you, LOML. 

Comments

Popular Posts