Rise Up

When the silence isn't quiet
And it feels like it's getting hard to breathe
And I know you feel like dying
But I promise we'll take the world to its feet
And move mountains
We'll take it to its feet
And move mountains
And I'll rise up
I'll rise like the day
I'll rise up
I'll rise unafraid
I'll rise up


The lyrics to this song written by Andra Day have been stuck in my head all morning. I awoke with a feeling of sadness. Partially over the outcome of the presidential election - but also because of how divided my beloved nation has become. 

You see, I had been caught off-guard by all the hateful things I had witnessed during this election process. I naively had thought that our country had moved past this kind of prejudice that was coming front and center. I had excused it thinking that type of behavior was limited to a small group of people. This was not who our country was as a whole. 

I was wrong.

And now I am determined to find a deeper understanding as to how a person (or many millions of people) can get to a point where their hate can become so prevalent. What hurt have they experienced that fuels this disgust for their fellow human being?

We cannot be healed by a single person. It is up to us to reach out to those who are different from us. To those whose actions make no sense in our mind. It is up to us to communicate and find healing. That is one big lesson I am taking with me. 

When we attack instead of listen to understand, no one wins. 

Comments

Popular Posts