How to train for a half marathon: the beginner's edition


Well, I did it!  I finished a half marathon. I took my little body 13.1 miles in distance at one time without any assistance. Just me and my little legs (which currently feel like jello). 

I set a goal and I accomplished it, and for that I am very happy. I found out what I am capable of and I also found out that running is not my preferred method of being fit and healthy. At least, running in very long distances. 

I did discover a few training tips for beginners like me. If you want to kick-start a healthy lifestyle, training for something (anything) is a great way to start. It assures that you won't just give up after a few weeks. So, here are 5 tips from one beginner to another. 

1. Find a training program that works for you. Well, I should probably start with - make sure you actually train. Even if you run every once in a while or have ran a half marathon before, it is very important to train. Not all programs work for everyone. Do your research and utilize the handy dandy internet. I have trained a few different ways but this last program I used was modified from a schedule my friend sent me. The best part of this schedule was that it was not just a lot of running (trust me, you still run). There was cross training and weight training as well. Weight training, I have found, is very important to incorporate because it helps with endurance and with your body being able to withstand the stress of running long distances. My knees held up much better this time around because of the weight training. 

2. Your goal should be to finish, not to win. During my training I fluctuated from a 12 minute mile to a 13 minute mile. The longer the training distance, the longer it took me to finish those miles. But - THAT IS OK. Early on in my training, I gave up on the need to finish this race fast. I decided I just wanted to finish. 

3. Location, location, location! The first few weeks of training it was blazing hot outside. The good thing was, the beginning of training includes the least amount of miles to run at a time. Which makes treadmill training bearable. Once you start running 5+ miles at a time, the treadmill is dreadfully boring. My husband and I have both a track and a running/biking trail nearby our house that we like to do our runs on. The scenery on the trail is quite beautiful in places and it helps with #4 while I am running. 

4. Break up your runs. This method works really well for me, but not for everyone. Mentally, it is easier for me to break up my runs into sections. It is easier to think about the next 2 miles as opposed to the next 10. I like to section out my running path in my head to make the run seem more manageable. It is also helpful for me, since I incorporate walking breaks. I like to run every 2-3 miles and then walk for about a quarter of a mile. If I know that the distance from my house to the running trail is 2 miles, I will make sure to run those entire 2 miles and then walk a quarter of a mile once I get there. 

5. Pay attention to what your body is telling you. Make sure that you train correctly so that you don't hurt yourself. Don't push yourself too hard, and listen to your body. Even if your goal was to run the entire race, listen when your body tells you to stop or slow down. The last few miles of my half marathon, the wind really picked up and my body was begging me to slow down. I listened and let it rest a little. I think this helped a lot when I was able to push through with a really strong finish at the end. 

All in all, running is not for everyone. But, it is important to train and train in a way that works for you. I am glad I did it - and maybe one day I will do it again. But, I am not making any plans at the current moment :). 

Comments

  1. Congratulations! As a fellow halfer myself, I know how hard the training is in order to be able to complete the race. I haven't ran for years, but I commend you for setting a goal and sticking to it! Here's a piece I wrote awhile back about my last race: http://maternalmedia.com/2013/05/06/being-a-runner-shows-commitment-in-every-aspect-of-life/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go girl!!! This is so awesome! I love race training. After my first half I said 'I'm done' with long distances, but it's addicting! :) I bet you're back in another race before you know it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts