Perfect

I know some of you think I am perfect and I thank you for that. ;) But, much to my chagrin, I am not. Far from it actually.

What is really hard for me to handle is that not everything I do or accomplish is perfect either. As a serial perfectionist, this is a challenge.

In my office, a few of us have been struggling with the thought that maybe being a perfectionist actually isn't a good thing after-all.  Perfectionism can actually get in our way. For me, I tend to beat myself up after experiencing a moment where not everything is perfect that I miss what is good, and I am distracted from being able to move forward to the next action, or to experience the joy of those around me (who don't care about the mistake I am fretting over). 

I heard something the other day that I would like to incorporate into my thinking more: 


Strive for excellence not perfection. 


How simple, yet incredibly profound. Freeing actually.

If I am able to strive for excellence, I will be able to enjoy what is going on around me rather than be distracted by the less-than-perfect circumstances. 

I will be able to enjoy the party even if the coordinated table cloths are flying away. I will be able to listen to the speaker even if not everyone arrived to the event on time. I will be able to play with my daughter even if her hair is a mess. 

This concept comes into play in many aspects of my life - as a wife, a mom, an employee, a friend, a party planner... if I am able to apply this concept, I think my life will get just a little bit easier. 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts