Gluten Free Thanksgiving: Cream of Mushroom

A few years back my mother discovered that she had a gluten intolerance. It was before the current gluten-free fad we currently find ourselves in, and there were not many store bought options available, so we learned to navigate recipes to make them gluten free. My husband and I would take traditional recipes and looks for ways to make them so we all could enjoy holiday meals worry free. 

One of the recipes we learned was how to make cream of (fill in the blank) soups with gluten free flour. Yes, that's right, traditional cream of (fill in the blank) soups have gluten in them. When I made the cream of mushroom soup to use in our green bean casserole, I recorded the recipe to share here. 


Ingredients: 
1/4 cup butter
6 oz mushrooms 
1/4 cup gluten free flour blend (I used Namaste brand - Perfect Flour Blend) 
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 milk
Salt and pepper to taste

I made a double batch, but these ingredients should make the equivalent of a 10 oz. can. 

First, chop the mushrooms into small pieces. 
Then, melt the butter in a skillet or larger sauce pan. 


Sauté the mushrooms in the melted butter. Let the mushrooms cook down and then season with salt and pepper. 







Add the flour. Let it cook for a minute, this will form a thick paste. 

Then, add the chicken stock and milk, whisking as you add the liquid. 

It won't take very long for the ingredients to combine, it will be very thick, as this is a condensed version like the cans used in many recipes. 

I keep the soup in a jar in the refrigerator until I need to use it. You can also can it for long-term storage. 

Plus side to using this instead of the canned version, it is really delicious and has lots more mushrooms! 
Enjoy! 

Comments

Popular Posts