Weight Wars: An Update


Well, I have completed my half marathon. I took a little time off working out - we had a lot going on in our family right after the race and I got into a slump. I am going to be very honest and say that I have been pretty discouraged actually. 

I completed a huge goal and I am very proud of myself for that. But when I stepped on the scale afterward - I hadn't lost a pound. Not even one. I knew it already though because my clothing is still tight and I don't look like I have lost any weight. While the main goal of completing a half marathon wasn't to lose weight, I certainly thought it would be an added benefit. 

Instead, I sit here, a year and 5 months after my daughter was born and I am no closer to losing the baby weight. In fact, I weigh more today than I did a year ago. 

So, how do I keep from being completely discouraged? What are the positives?

First, I feel healthier. I know that my diet could use a little fine-tuning but when it comes to working out, I feel a lot better than I did a year ago. I can run 3 miles and feel fantastic. Put the number on the scale aside, and I am in better physical condition than ever. 

Second, I took a long look in the mirror the other day and decided that my body certainly does not look it's weight. I tried to remind myself that each person is different and we shouldn't judge ourselves according to a certain size that society has deemed acceptable. 

I saw something on Facebook the other day that said, "Mother Teresa didn't walk around complaining about her thighs, she had stuff to do."

I love that. 

I have made a concerted effort lately to prioritize what truly matters. If I am focusing on that, I should stop focusing on the superficial. 

My weight is superficial. 

My health is far more important. 


Comments

  1. Great attitude, Christi! I had weight loss surgery but that's not magic either. Focus on the many positives and bonuses. Ella will never love you any better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts