Grandma's House

When I was young, I would spend a week each summer by myself visiting my grandparents in Iowa City. The excitement would build each summer as my brothers would come back from their visits, as I waited for my turn. 

The week was filled with special outings planned each day by my grandmother. A mundane task of riding the public bus was transformed into an adventure traveling to the museum to explore. The trip topped off with one prized possession purchased at the gift shop. A special outfit picked out at the mall, price not an object, and a professional photo session a must to mark the occasion. Extra pocket cash gifted for a trip to the corner candy store to buy a special treat with "our own money." Golf outings to their country club where I was awarded the responsibility of driving the golf cart throughout the course (except for those tricky and steep areas). Afterward we would venture out to the pool for some kid swimming time. 

Those weeks made me feel so special. I also created lifelong memories. Times I still look back on. My relationship with my mother's parents has always felt sacred to me. 


This past weekend my husband and I packed up our daughter to pay my grandmother a visit. This was our second visit since Ella was born, and she was eager to see her again. I was happy to share with Ella some of my favorite parts of going to grandma's house - including the large stuffed polar bear (which was sent home with us for Ella to enjoy year round). We reminisced about the adventures we would take each summer, my grandmother expressing a desire to replicate some of these activities with Ella in a future visit. 
Visits with her are somehow sweeter these days, ever since my grandpa passed away a few years ago. And time spent with her feels fleeting. The old candy store is now a trendy brunch spot. Their golf clubs now sit in my garage waiting for my husband and I to take them out for a swing. The apartment she lives in is smaller. The items once held safely in her possession sent home with us for constant care and affection. 

The view may be different, but the relationship just gets sweeter with time. I am glad I have these moments now to share them with my own growing family. And my grandmother, she is the same person to me as she always has been, a comforting constant. 

Comments

Popular Posts