Magic, Memories, & Misery

 
An attempt at a festive family photo

I sat down to write a blog all about the magic of the season - how when you become a parent, the magic comes alive anew through the eyes of your children. But then my toddler whose hands are like magnets to everything she shouldn't touch decides to disobey me, forcing me to demand a time-out and requiring me to maneuver a limp two year old into the designated corner all while nursing our newborn. 

'Tis the Season is right. 

I love Christmas. I don't think it really ever lost it's magic for me. I more gained a yearning for a family of my own to spend the holiday with. I longed for the days of laying out presents from Santa by the tree in anticipation of excited squeals in the morning. I envisioned introducing them to some of my favorite seasonal movies. I dreamed of driving through dark neighborhoods illuminated by strings of lights, sipping on rich and creamy hot chocolate and singing along to our favorite carols. 

And while my children are still quite little, we have started to introduce some of these activities. This year Ella is starting to understand a little more of what all this means. She helped trim the tree. She requests Christmas movies and music daily. She points out the lights as we drive through the neighborhood. It is magical. 

But, it is also exhausting. Life isn't as perfect as my Instagram feed may reflect. For every adorable photo posted, there at least ten left behind to be eventually deleted. My child, who excitedly tells everyone she meets that she is going to see Santa and ask for a popsicle for Christmas, melts down after we shell out the money for a professional photograph and won't sit nicely on the jolly one's lap. Many, many time-outs are given in the month of December. You spend 20 minutes preparing to go out and play in the snow only to spend 5 minutes outside (hopefully capturing the perfect snap). The hot chocolate is TOO HOT - as your child falls into a fit of tears. 

Yes, there is magic. More often though, it can be found in the moments that are not planned. When things do not go as planned, try not to let that spoil your yuletide cheer.  

For parents, the holidays are both exciting and exhausting. I am choosing, though, to live in each moment, as fleeting as they are, and enjoy the magic as it spontaneously happens. 

Comments

Popular Posts