Childhood Friends, A Novel


My friend wrote a book. And it is good. And I want you to read it!

I am blessed to have come in contact with many talented people in my life. One of my absolute favorite things to do is throw a lot of support their way. Especially when they are living out their dreams. I love that they are actively making their mark in this world.

I was scrolling through Instagram one day and I saw that Beaufield Berry had written her first novel. Without hesitation, I clicked on the link and purchased it. I didn’t even stop to read the synopsis. It didn’t matter. I knew she was a great writer from the plays she had written, I didn’t even question for her a moment that her novel would be the same.

And I am so happy I did. The story resonated with me. Her words kept sucking me in and I found it hard to put down. Her descriptions transport you into the story with the characters. I do not want to give too much of the premise away, so I will stop there. But – please – go and pick up a copy of “Childhood Friends” by Beaufield Berry.

I asked Beaufield if she would answer a few questions – and here is what she had to say:

You are mainly known as a playwright, what inspired you to write a novel? 
When I was 14 I started my first long form novel...I was 23 chapters in and my floppy disk failed. I have never been more devastated, I cried for two days straight and swore I'd never write another book because nothing in this world lasts...nothing matters. So I moved to theater. After writing plays for years I just feel like the right novel at the right time finally found me. 

How did the process differ from writing a play to writing a novel?
It's so much more solitary and insular. For me, especially for this book, it's so much more personal. I don't know if it's because it was my full circle back to writing a novel, but it's very emotional. And when it's over you just have this story that you want to share, but it doesn't have that instant gratification of a play. You don't get to hear where people laugh, or groan or cringe, like you do in theater. And you can't inform how they receive your words, the way actors and directors help you to. So...in a nutshell it's fucking terrifying and liberating. 

When did you first know that you were going to be a writer?
When I first discovered I wanted to be a writer I was around 8 years old and I wrote my first book in 4th grade called, "The Princess and the Sparrow" we made them on computers with a high school class. The last day we had to finish the books, I had to choose between going to the high school or my violin recital, that I had painstakingly practiced for and of course my Mom had paid for. I chose the book. 

Did you pull from personal experiences to shape Jorah’s backstory and personality?
Definitely. The leaving your hometown and finding many different lives and adventures, that's all me though I think Jorah was more successful at it. The way she looks down on people...that's me too. A little good and a little bad. 

Why did you choose to make Omaha the backdrop of the story?
I thought that if I were going to do a homecoming story, I had to make it real. And it had to be real to me, to make it real for Jorah and the reader. And there was only one place I could do that from. I wanted to encompass both positive and negative parts of both Omaha and the Midwest. I don't think I could be honest about that point of view to set it elsewhere. 

What is one take-away you hope readers leave with after reading “Childhood Friends?”
I think the exciting thing about people reading my work is how they really make it their own. They can find themselves in it, in a way I can't dictate. I love that. I think one thing that pulls all of that together is universal truth. I believe there are themes in life we can all relate to despite the many things that make us unique. So for those that connect to the book, I want them to leave with a sense of relating, of connectedness...and in my dream world it would linger for a little while. 

When feeling stuck, what are your favorite ways to shake writer’s block?
Well, when I'm NOT pregnant I like to drink while I think. Hahaha. But my favorite way to shake the thoughts out I'd to leave town. Even for a weekend, it ALWAYS resets my mind. 

What would you say to 22 year old Beaufield Berry today?

Omg...I would pull her down off of whatever table she's dancing on and show her pictures of her future kids. I'd tell her not to date these people (names and meeting places included) and I'd remind her way earlier than she found out of her self-worth and never to compromise or question that. You deserve to be treated well, you deserve to love yourself and you really don't need another shot. 


Comments

Popular Posts