Rest


We live in a society that I believe at it's very core doesn't appreciate or know how to rest. Everything we see is go, go, go! Many skip breaks and eat lunch at their desks at work. Weekends are filled with endless to-do lists. Kids are enrolled in every activity imaginable, which include practice or rehearsal many times a week. We feel guilty if we are not constantly moving or busy. To the point where, if we are extended an invitation, and there is nothing else planned on our calendars - we immediately respond with a "yes." Feeling guilty for saying no if the alternative is to be at home, and at rest. 

I am guilty too. I constantly feel the pull to work, go, and do. I feel pangs of guilt when I am choosing to rest while someone else is being productive around me. When faced with another week off work due to an unexpected surgery, I felt guilty for leaving. I brought a stack of work home to make myself feel better. Maybe if I can get this done I won't feel so guilty for being gone. 

Why can't I simply rest? 

I am trying. This week, while home recuperating from surgery to have my gallbladder removed I have had to force myself to rest. To sit with the clutter and to-do list staring me in the face and just REST. My body screamed at me every time I tried to be productive. The pain came shooting back and I was forced to sit or lie down. After a while I decided to listen, and my body thanked me. I feel better each day. I will heal. 

I often tell people to get the rest they deserve when they are sick or rundown. I know the consequences we pay when we don't - we just get worse. However, I am not as kind to myself.

I am grateful for all those doling out tips in the days prior to my procedure. Take it easy. Don't push it too much. Ask for help. Rest and feel better. 

This concept should not be reserved for times like recovering from surgery. We should all find pockets of rest. For rejuvenation, for preventative care, for sanity. I challenge you to fight against the current of society which pulls you toward the busy-ness of life and find rest amongst the chaos. 
I know I am trying. 

Comments

Popular Posts