Just Wait.


One of my biggest pet peeves is when people use the phrase, "just wait."  My whole life this phrase has felt demeaning.  

Just wait until you are older.
Just wait until you are married. 
Just wait until you are pregnant.
Just wait until you have kids. 
Just wait until she gets older
Just wait until you have two. 
Just wait... 

What frustrates me the most about this is that it doesn't lend itself to living in the present, the here and now.  I don't want to wait... I want to enjoy where I am now.  

But, I get it now.  I have found myself wanting to tell an 18 year old, just wait until you get a little older, your life is just beginning.  

I have wanted to tell that single girl in her 20s searching for her mate, just wait until you find that perfect someone to spend your days with, it is worth the wait.  

To the girl in the relationship waiting for the perfect proposal, just wait until you get to plan your wedding and be married to your best friend, it is so challenging but worth it!

And to the newlywed looking on with yearning eyes at my child, craving that relationship with one of her own - just wait until you get to cuddle your baby one day - it is the deepest love you will ever feel, but it is hard to understand it it until you get there yourself. 

There are so many times I have wanted to say, "Just wait..." But, I want to allow others to live their own experiences, forge their own path.  After all, that is what I craved, and still do. 

I am so grateful for all those who have gone ahead of me and that I can go to for advice and guidance when I need it.  But, I know I need to be able to live in the moment.  

I don't want to wait, I want to live!


Comments

Popular Posts