Omaha


I love living in Omaha. I have traveled to other places, but my home is Omaha.  

My parents settled here after college in Crete, NE after moving to Nebraska from New Jersey (dad) and Iowa (mom). I have traveled all over the country - and even outside of the country. But, there is no place that has pulled on me so strongly to get me to move outside of Omaha. 

Yes, I have thought about it - even dreamed about it at one point. But, I am so lucky to call Omaha my home. 

I love having all 4 seasons (sometimes all 4 in 1 day!). I love the small community feel with big city accommodations. I love the community I have surrounded myself with. 

Here are my top 5 favorite things about life in Omaha:

Free Public Activities
The Farmer's Market, Shakespeare on the Green, Jazz on the Green, Concerts in the Park, I could go on. Not only do I love that our city and it's residence engage in putting on free community activities - but people participate! Whenever we venture out to any free event, we inevitably run into someone we know. The small town mentality in a city this size is truly a gem. 

The Food Scene
Aaron and I love food. If you would like, you can use the term "foodie," but I find that term pretentious. From James Beard nominated chef restaurants to hole in the wall greasy spoons, this town has some amazing food! Some of our favorites: Lot 2, Gray Plume, Voo Doo Taco, Heritage Food and Wine, Wilson & Washburn, Localmotive Food Truck, Salt 88, The Boiler Room, Over Easy. I could continue. There is so much food talent in this town - I challenge you to branch out of your comfort zone. 

Public Attractions
Yes, we have the number one zoo in the country, but that's not where it ends. We have the NCAA College World Series here every June. And in the past, we have hosted Olympic swim trials and NCAA College basketball tournament games. We have a large botanical garden at the Lauritzen Gardens.  

Did you also know that entrance into the Joslyn Museum is free? There are many local art galleries you can peruse and a fantastic Children's Museum. And, every summer there is the Summer Arts Festival downtown. Oftentimes, it feels like you can't fit everything in to one year.  

Cost of Living
The cost of living in Omaha is fantastic. When I hear about how much a house the same size as mine would cost if I were living in a bigger city, my jaw drops. I am grateful that I can have access to all parts of my city - and know that my mortgage payment can fit into my budget. I feel like the lower cost of living improves the quality of our lives immensely.  

Theater Scene
In my case, I would consider many in the local theater scene my family. But, even with that bias, I feel like the talent here is incredible. There are many theaters here that put on fantastic shows - AND - we get to see many national tours come through. I encourage you to get out and experience what this community has to offer!

I love Omaha and I really don't see myself ever leaving. There is just so much to love, and this is just the tip of the iceberg.  

Comments

Popular Posts