Wazziwoo + Touch the Nations


I have known Lindsay Blake since high school. She was a few years ahead of me in school and hung out with my older brother. I thought she and her friends were so cool. I looked up to them a lot and wanted to be one of them. Over the years, many of us from those days have stayed in touch in one way or another. Lindsay has lived all over the world and in the last few years, through us both getting married and becoming mothers, it has been fun to reconnect. It has been especially fun to watch Lindsay light up when she talks about reaching for her dreams - going after her passions without apology. It is inspiring.  

One of these dreams is a kid's clothing line she started with her husband while living in South Africa, inspired by their son. It is called Wazziwoo - the designs are cute and inventive and the quality is durable for those kids on the go! We gifted my two nephews their rocket tees and they LOVE them!


This month Wazziwoo announced that they are partnering Touch the Nations, and organization whose vision is to network and resource grass root initiatives in developing countries. Touch the Nations is spearheaded by another long-time friend of mine, Katja Starkey. Currently, Touch the Nations supports the Guilgal Center in Burundi, vulnerable people in Ethiopia and one orphanage for vulnerable children in Sierra Leone. They are in the process of raising $30,000 for the Ebola orphanage in Sierra Leone. So far they’ve raised nearly $12,000.

What is exciting is that you can help! In the month of April Wazziwoo is giving 10% of all proceeds to help fund the Ebola orphanage. Not only can you purchase cute clothes for your kiddos - you can help children in need across the world.  

To learn a little more about my friend, Lindsay, I asked her to answer a few questions:

1. Simply stated, what is the mission of Wazziwoo?
The mission of Wazziwoo is to create designs that kids want to wear.

So often parents buy clothes because they have cute sayings that adults like. But we, at Wazziwoo, wanted to create a company that focuses on designs children want to put on. We hear from our customers that their kids choose their Wazziwoo shirts to wear over and over because of the designs they love. In the future, we can’t wait to involve Carsen, and ask him what kind of designs he wants on a t-shirt.

2. What is your favorite design?
This is such a hard question because a lot of love went into all four… But… I (Lindsay) love PI(E) and Kevin’s favorite is the Tri-Cycles. Carsen is a toss up between BEEP. BOOP. BOP. and Up And Away.

3. What inspires your designs?
Our designs are inspired first and foremost by our son, Carsen. Whether it's the big multi-colored hexagon, the bright orange rocket, the cool abstract tricycle design or the funny robot, they're all designed for the kids. We want to make products that are comfortable, easy to wash and most of all, will stand up against the muddy wear-and-tear a kid will put it through. We know that parents love them too, but we strive to make designs that will inspire kids to Dream Big! And we have more designs in the works!

4. Can you describe the design process?
Keeping the motto Dream Big at the forefront, and watching our son grow up, play and just be a kid definitely has an influence on the process. Sometimes we think of big bold graphics that kids can identify with and recognize. Other times we think funky, quirky and fun. So when an idea strikes it's important to start sketching. Everything starts with pencil on paper. Whether it's a saying or a quick sketch of a funny bird, it all starts on paper first. Then we translate that sketch into Illustrator on the computer and go through several iterations before deciding on a final design. It's a super fun process, and not every idea ends up working out in the end.

5. How has being a mother influenced your business decisions?
I feel this question has many layers.

I’ve always been a dreamer. Passionate. Whole-hearted. A doer. But being Carsen’s momma definitely caused me to dream and do whether that means we succeed or fail. If I want Carsen to be a dreamer and then a doer, I need to lead by example.

In business that means, taking a leap of faith and printing 200 kids tees because we believe in the designs. It’s saying sink or swim, we set an example for Carsen to dream and then do. And that to me is very important.

Another layer to business decisions and how being Carsen’s momma has influenced me is in what he actually wears. As Carsen steps into toddlerhood (he will be two in May!) he is getting more and more independent. He has an opinion now, and doesn’t always want to wear what I pick out. Which means I now give him options, and I find he likes the robot and rocket and superheroes. He doesn’t like the shirts with the cute sayings that I thought were so awesome.


6. What inspired you to hold a Touch the Nations fundraiser?
Wazziwoo was birthed in Cape Town, South Africa where Kevin and I served as volunteers for a year and a half. We served in various locations around the world with Youth with A Mission for 5+ years. We have BIG hearts for the littles of this world, especially those without an earthly mom and dad.

While we are currently living in the United States, our hearts still beat for the littles of this world. I (Lindsay) have known Katja for over 20 years. Her heart for the widows and orphans of the world is HUGE and she is doing GREAT things through her non profit.

Instead of having a sale, we thought, why don’t we donate a portion of our proceeds to help a nonprofit we know will help littles in Sierra Leone.


For Fun:
7. Who is your favorite author?
This is such a hard question! I LOVE to read! I don’t think I can say I have a favorite author. I will say two favorite books in the last few years that I’ve read were Ender’s Game and The Maze Runner Series.

8. Do you have a favorite blog that you read?
Hmmm… I used to read blogs ALL THE TIME and then I had my baby and now I seem to never have time. But one I always read when she posts is Sharla Hintz:
http://whathappenedtomymarriage.com/

9. What is your favorite television show?
Man, these questions are difficult :) 
All time: M*A*S*H, Gilmore Girls, 24, & Parenthood
Current: The Flash & Fixer Upper (I just love Chip and JoJo)


10. If you could tell your 21 year old self 1 thing, what would it be?
That is a hard question because, honestly, I’ve loved my life journey: all the glamour and all the gore. But, I think I’d tell my 21 year old self to loosen up and not be so judgmental. I grew into more of myself at 26, and am forever grateful.

Click here to learn more about Wazziwoo and Touch the Nations

Comments

Popular Posts