Professional Recognition

Last week I was minding my own business when I got a call from the front desk at my office saying that I had a delivery. This was very odd, but when I arrived, I was welcomed with a gorgeous spring bouquet. I was dumbfounded. Surely Aaron didn't send me flowers. Even if this wasn't a special occasion, he typically hand delivers any flowers he gives me.



While my co-workers looked on, I opened the card and it said, "Christi - Congrats on 2014-2015 Legal Professional of the Year!" I was shocked. Last year I was nominated for this exact same award and did not win. This year, I won! I was so honored and humbled. 

This past year has been a difficult one for me. As any new working mother can tell you. After Ella was born, I spent the next 8 weeks away from the office at home caring for my newborn. After what seemed like a blink of the eye, I was back at work, away from my child for 8+ hours a day. I was still adjusting to being a mother, while returning to a workplace that was knee deep in change. I did my best to keep up. 

I have been back at work for 8 months now and I just now feel like I am back in a groove. You see, nothing is ever the same once you become a mother. Even if I had come back to my law firm and nothing had changed in the workplace, I am different now, I am a mother. I can't just turn that off when I leave in the morning and then turn it back on when I get home at night. Being a mother has changed everything for me. And, it took me a while to see it and then accept it. I am still working on fully embracing it. 

It feels really good to know that others acknowledge the hard work I have put into being a contributing professional. More than ever, I want the work I do when I am away from my family to mean something. If I didn't believe wholeheartedly in the work I did, it would be a waste of my time. 

I am so happy to know that what I do means something to people. I am honored and humbled to have won this award. It is a tangible example that what I do matters.  

I hope Ella can look back one day and be proud of the things her mother has accomplished. 


Comments

Popular Posts