Book Club


Five years ago, I decided that I needed to be a part of a book club. I love reading, but I sometimes have a hard time finishing books. 

All growing up, my parents were a part of a "literary society," and the people who comprised this group are still very close friends to my parents. 

So, I started with the obvious launching point in this generation - I posted a status on Facebook asking if anyone I knew would be interested. There were quite a few responses. I proceeded to set a date, pick a book, and invite the people who expressed an interest. If my memory serves me right, we had 5 people at that first meeting back on June 5, 2010. Since then, two of the original attendees have moved but the remaining three are the core group that continued on. 

Since then, we have met almost every month with about 10 books read each year. Recently, we counted and we have read 50 books overall. All the titles listed in the collage above. I would say that any member has read at least 40 of those books. Personally, I have read 45 of the 50 and at the present moment, I have three unfinished books on my nightstand. 

But, my favorite part of my book club are the friendships I have formed. In that first meeting, I knew a few people really well and a few people were just acquaintances. Today, those acquaintances I count as some of my closest friends. People who will host baby showers with and for me, people I know we can count on if we are in a bind and going through some of life's toughest moments, people who I know will be lifelong friends. 

I am so glad I formed this book club. I also am grateful that it has become bigger than me. Often I am asked if we actually read the books: sometimes. :) I am also asked if we discuss the books at our meeting: yep! For the first 10-15 minutes at least. :) 

My time with these ladies is full of so much life - we support each other through everything, we laugh so hard I feel I should have a 6-pack upon leaving, and they are truly some of my best friends who I will tell anything to. 

We are looking to celebrate our 5 year anniversary today. We now have 7 faithful members. In the last 5 years, we have seen 3 weddings and 4 (soon to be 5) children born, 3 houses purchased, and countless other life changes.  

I can't wait to see what the next 5 years will bring! I love you, ladies! 

Comments

Popular Posts