Little Explorer



It was about an hour before bedtime and she was getting restless playing in the living room. I opened the baby gate and let her partake in her current favorite activity of climbing down the stairs. Once we reached the bottom of the stairs we were on the landing by front door, It was gorgeous outside, so we headed outside. She was thrilled that I was opening up a whole new world for her to explore. With a little assistance, she climbed out the front door, down the front step, and into the grass in our front yard. I sat on our front porch and watched as she crawled away from me to discover the unknown terrain awaiting her. She maneuvered across the yard while observing the blooming flowers to her left, the tall tree above her, and the various animals going about their normal business around her. The squirrel scurrying up the tree, the bird hunting for worms in the grass, and the bunny frozen in place for fear of being seen and disturbed. Once Ella arrived at her desired destination, she sat and turned to look at me. I waved and said hello, she waved back. And waved, and waved, and waved... We played a quick game of "how big is Ella? This big!" while she raised her arms high to the sky. Eventually she was satisfied with the new discoveries she made on this excursion and began her return trip to me on our stoop and back into the house to get ready for bed. 


While I was sitting and observing my child discovering this whole new world around her, it struck me as a good example of the type of parent I would like to be. Watchful, but gracious with the freedom I award my child. 

I want my child to have just the right amount of freedom throughout her life to teach her independence. This week it was the front yard.

Comments

Popular Posts