Kindness Matters

Recently I received the following message from a friend:

I just wanted to compliment you on your kind inclusive heart. I just was talking with someone about homeschooling and why or why not to. This person mentioned how out of place she felt because kids who went to your private elementary school were so mean. And then she added, except for Christi Malek, "She was always kind and went out of her way to make people feel included." And I just smiled and said, she is still like that. 

When I received this message it brought tears to my eyes. I couldn't believe that as a child I had made such a great impact on someone. 

When I was younger, I wasn't what you would call one of the "popular girls." From kindergarten until second grade I was home schooled. My mom, a certified teacher, taught me and my two older brothers up until the time that my little brother was old enough for kindergarten and then we were all sent to private school. 

While in home school, we would occasionally attend gym and music classes at a school close to our house. We also would do activities with some of the other local home school families. I remember one time we made butter with some of the girls who were involved with 4H. Those girls always made me feel welcome, and I don't remember there being anyone in that group being more popular than the others. And then came Sunday morning. The girls who went to the private school associated with our church were a little exclusive. I always wanted to be in that elite group. 

After I started going to that very school with those "cool girls," I found that I didn't fit in. It wasn't too bad at first, we were only in third grade so kids mostly play with everyone. But as we got older the "cliques" started to form.

As I look back on those years, I know that they helped to form me into a kinder, more inclusive person. If I sense that someone is being left out, I am hyper aware of the situation. I would like to say that I always do the right thing, but I know I do not. 

This message was a nice reminder to always trust my gut and do my best to never let anyone feel the way that I so often did in my formative years. 

I would like to embody that message I received. May it be a reminder to always be kind. 

--------------------------------------
Since we are walking down memory lane today.. enjoy these throwback pictures of me in 6th grade...  

1950's dress up day

Me as Anne of Green Gables

Comments

  1. That's so great that a friend reached out to you with that message. We need more kindness in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope that my kids include others. We try to never leave anyone out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts