The Freedom of Friendship

The tears started streaming down my face, and I didn't care. I had just walked in to join my dear friend for lunch and within minutes the stresses of that day came pouring out onto my cheeks. She simply listened and provided a safe space for my emotions to flow freely. 

In life, I would count myself extremely lucky in the friend department. I have surrounded myself with people, specifically women, who are willing to share the spectrum of emotion that accompanies real life. 




I love my lady friends - those who I have chosen to be in my life are the ones who build each other up. Who celebrate each other's successes. Who don't think that one woman's success is a threat to their own. Those who see other women succeeding as a good thing and not to be seen as a threat. 

I find myself wondering why it is that in general women treat each other so horribly. I could blame society. I could blame men. There are many places to put the blame. But, at some point all of those just become excuses. And I sincerely dislike excuses. 


Excuses make apologies feel disingenuous. Excuses tell the person you are talking to that they are less important to you than this other "thing" that was in the way of them being there for you. 


No more excuses. No more blame. 


It is in our power to lift each other up and end this stereotype. I find great pleasure in supporting all women to accomplish their dreams. To climb to the top of their profession (even if it is the same as mine). To put friendship above attainment. 


In then end, what really matters are our relationships, not our accomplishments. When I am old and unable to kick butt like I do now - I would like some company there with me while we complain about joint pain and reminisce the times we used to share. 


I left that particular lunch feeling lifted. We quickly moved on from tears to laughter, as I so heavily rely on my friends to lift me up when life's challenges feel too heavy to carry alone. I found comfort in the fact that I was in a safe space with my friend. That she too experiences challenging days, can understand, and commiserate. 


I celebrate the freedom I find in the friendships I have formed. 



Comments

Popular Posts