Choose Joy


Choose Joy and you will spread Joy. 

The other day the Pickleman's delivery guy burst into my office to bring me my lunch full of energy and happiness. He was excited for the beautiful weather and exuded joy. He wore a large smile on his face and had a bounce in his step. 

Earlier that very same day, I was told, "You always see it as glass half full!" Which made me feel like the Pickleman's delivery guy. It put a pep in my step to know that the positive outlook I am constantly striving for was coming across to others. 

I have not always been this way. There was a time when I was so depressed that each day felt like a chore to do anything. Get out of bed. Get ready for work. Go to work. Be motivated. Greet my co-workers. Go home. Make dinner. It was all something that I dreaded each day when I awoke. I didn't know it at the time that I was suffering from depression. But, I was encouraged to seek help, and with that gentle push I walked into my therapist's office and week by week I began to heal. 

My lowest point was about 6 years ago and thinking back, it feels like a lifetime. I started working on my issues, and I started to feel the purpose come back. A sense that I actually had something to offer to others. Soon therafter I met my husband and the rest, as they say, is history. 

But, really - the hard work did not stop there. Please hear me, therapy will not fix everything and bring you the love of you life. The hard work is all up to you. I still have days when I have to remind myself of who I am and how I need to show up for others.

That is when I choose joy. I actively choose to live in possibility. Not in what is or what was, but what can be. I surround myself with inspiring quotes and words which keep me centered. Photos of my family adorn my desk and home to remind me of what really is important. 

Optimism does not come easy, but in the end, it will become a part of who you are. You will exude joy without even knowing it. 


What is it that is holding you back?

Comments

Popular Posts