Gasp! My Kid is a Princess.


Last week my husband and I took our two year old to the Fairytale Ball at the Omaha Children's Museum. Ever since then (and even far before then) she refers to herself as a princess, wants to wear pretty dresses, gets into my make-up, and trots around the house in my high heels (she has better heel skills than many women my age). 

But, she also loves balls, choo choo trains, trucks, cars, playing in the yard, bubbles, gardening with daddy, cooking, reading books, and so much more. She really is a well rounded kid who enjoys so many different aspects of life. 

What I have noticed about the parenting style that my husband and I have developed is to let our children enjoy whatever it is they lean toward. We have attempted to not just buy "girl" toys. We make an effort at not calling her princess, but many others have filled in that gap for us. But, I will tell her that she is pretty. I also tell her that she is smart, helpful, polite, kind, and I will always let her know when I am proud of her and her accomplishments. So much so that when she does something right she will exclaim, "I'm so proud of you!"

There is a balance. I don't think I need to abstain from ever commenting on her physical appearance. But, I will make sure that she knows that is only one small part of who she is.

So, when she picks out everything in the shade of pink, wants to wear sparkly dresses, calls herself a princess, and declares that she's "so pretty" when she looks in the mirror, I won't worry too much. Because I know she also loves blue and green, jumps in puddles after the rain, and makes silly faces at herself in the mirror. 

She is a kid who has a long road ahead of her to discover what it is that she is passionate about. I just want to make sure she is aware of all her options and show her how much you have to work for what you want as well. I know she can accomplish anything, I just hope that I will have given her the tools to get there. 

So, yes, my kid is a princess. But, I think that is ok. For now ;)

Comments

Popular Posts