Self-Centered



The last few months I have had a freeing revelation: People are self-centered. 

Now, before you get offended - hear me out!

I have wasted so many minutes, hours, moments of my life concerned and worried about what the people around me think of the many choices I make: what I eat, what I wear, what I say, on and on and on... And I know I am not alone in this. In my early twenties I fashioned my life by what I thought others would think was "cool" or "acceptable." I sacrificed my happiness and enjoyment for the sake of looking good in the eyes of others. 

What age and maturity has given me is a different perspective. As I entered my thirties, I noticed that I cared a lot less. I have been able to embrace what I am truly passionate about. Say no to things that I do not enjoy and focus on what truly matters. 

But, there are still those moments when I care, even on a subconscious level, about what others may think. I ask myself, "Who am I trying to impress?" and often (although I would rather not admit this) the answer is NOT, "I'm doing this for myself."

My word for 2018 is MOXIE. And as I have been focusing on how I can act with more grit, courage, and determination. I have noticed that one of the things holding me back is how I believe others perceive me. And through my therapist, my life coach, Brene Brown, a transition series, friends, my boss, co-workers (it truly takes a village) - I came to a life changing revelation:

PEOPLE ARE SELF-CENTERED.

I don't have to care about what other people think about me - because - they aren't thinking about me. 

How great is that? Stop worrying about other people and their opinions about your life. They are more worried about what others think about them to give you a second thought. 

Please carry this with you the next time you concern yourself with other's opinions about your life. I hope it will bring you the freedom it has afforded me. 

Comments

Popular Posts