O Holy Night


My mom likes to tell a story about me when I was little. One day she found me standing on my plastic play table positioned in front of the large picture window overlooking our street singing with a brush as my microphone to entertain my imaginary audience.  

I have been singing ever since I can remember. Hand in hand with that came acting. It has been a while since I have done a play or musical in my local community theater- but every once and a while I get to flex my pipes, so to speak. 

On Christmas Eve I was offered the opportunity by my father-in-law to sing "O Holy Night" with him at their church's candlelight service. This happens to be my favorite Christmas Carol.  As a vocalist, the complexity of the song and it's range offer a unique challenge.  But, the song itself is beautifully written and meaningful.  

What an honor it was to share that song on such a meaningful evening with my in-laws, my husband and my daughter on her first Christmas. 

I truly hope that you were able to find quiet moments to reflect on the real reason for Christmas and that you were able to spend some time with the people you love.

O Holy Night
The stars are brightly shining
It is the night of our dear Savior's birth
Long lay the world in sin and error pining
'Til He appeared and the soul felt its worth
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.

Fall on your knees O hear the angels voices.
O night divine O night when Christ was born
O night divine, O night, O night divine.

Led by the light of Faith serenely beaming,
With glowing hearts by His cradle we stand.
So led by light of a star sweetly gleaming,
Here came the wise men from Orient land.
The King of Kings lay thus in lowly manger;
In all our trials born to be our friend.

He knows our need, to our weakness is no stranger,
Behold your King! Before Him lowly bend!
Behold your King! Before Him lowly bend!

Truly He taught us to love one another;
His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother;
And in His name all oppression shall cease.
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
Let all within us praise His holy name.

Christ is the Lord! O praise His Name forever,
His power and glory evermore proclaim.
O night divine, O night, O night divine

Comments

Popular Posts