Adventures in Food: Mula





If you read my blog post about the Blackstone District, you saw my reference to Mula, which is a Mexican kitchen and tequileria. I had been there previously with co-workers but this post is about a lunch I had there with my husband recently. .


I was on my way out the door when I receive a text, "I might be a couple minutes behind you. If you beat me order some esquites. :-)" He is a little more versed in food than I am (which is saying something), so I had no clue what esquites was. Apparently it is a creamy corn salad and at Mula, they smoke it! They brought it out to the table in a sealed glass jar which was filled halfway with the corn mixture had been injected with smoke. When you open the lid, a pleasing smoky aroma fills the air. It is a perfect compliment to the spicy and sweet mixture you scoop up with their fresh made flour tortilla chips. 


For the main course Aaron ordered the Carne Asada tacos and I ordered the Chicken Tinga Torta. The tacos come in fresh-made corn tortillas, which are incredibly tasty against the perfect combination of steak, bacon, charred onion, creamy avocado, and cilantro which adds a refreshing burst to your bite (I am one of the lucky ones who don't think cilantro tastes like soap).


As my husband says, tortas can sometimes get a little busy. Not this torta. Along with the shredded chicken, there is a black bean spread, house crema, avocado, lettuce, tomato, jalapenos, mayonnaise, all placed on their fresh baked bread (which is charred on the grill for an extra boost of flavor). It is quite a filling sandwhich, I was unable to finish my entire serving. 

While we did not order them on this trip, the hand-piped, house-made churros are the perfect sweet bite to complete your meal. Accompanied with fresh fruit and a spicy chocolate dipper.

While the food is top-notch, service has been hit and miss. The decor is rustic, but the ambiance leaves you wanting more. I will be back for the food, but I hope the restaurant hits a better groove in over-all experience. 

Comments

Popular Posts