Omaha Adventures: Blackstone District

As you know, I love my hometown. I relish every time I discover new places and activities. Last weekend, my husband and I got the chance to get dressed up and out of the house - and we decided to go on an adventure. 

We attended a benefit in downtown Omaha (which was fantastic) and had planned to venture into the Old Market area afterward but instead we decided to take a quick drive west to the newly updated Blackstone District. We had heard great things about the area and wanted to check it out. 

The Night Owl was our original intended destination but it was crazy busy on a Friday night. Aaron later discovered that they have a vinyl happy hour - byo vinyl and $1 PBRs. Needless to say, we will be back for that!


We ventured a little further and stopped into Scriptown Brewery. When we walked in, we first noticed the large bar which takes the majority of the space and is inviting for patrons to sit and socialize with each other. There were a few tables, and a large bar facing out the windows and onto Farnam Street as well. Music from or inspired by the 30s, 40s, and 50s filled the bar, it was upbeat and had me bouncing in my stool and the bartenders grooving while pouring drinks. 

My husband can walk into any bar and tell the bartender to pick a beer and serve it to him and he will generally be happy. He will try anything once. I, on the other hand, do not have the taste for beer. I try, but it's just not my thing. I asked the bartender what she would recommend and she said to try their Scriptown Mule - since they brew their own ginger beer. Aaron tried three different beers, all at different bartenders recommendations, he enjoyed all of them. I nursed my mule all night and it was tasty - with a real ginger kick! 

The drinks were great - but the atmosphere and crowd were what I will come back for. The bar wasn't too dark and with the upbeat, fun music it left me feeling jovial. There was not one type of patron either, as we were leaving we struck up a conversation with a couple in their 50s who were quite friendly. There was another couple who were more our peers who seemed to be enjoying one of their last nights out before becoming parents. There was a group of food service industry people who took up camp toward the back at one of the tables. The energy was positive, friendly, helpful, and laid back. 


As we were leaving, we stopped into Mula to grab some churros to go and then stopped for a photo op by the Blackstone wall. Overall - I am glad we took the detour. It was a great evening. 

Comments

Popular Posts