Protecting the Innocent


A flag at half mast. A headline highlighting more violence. The tearful pleas of the families of victims in press conferences. Candlelit vigils. Cries of the community claiming injustice. 

The atmosphere we live in these days is hard to ignore. While I can easily turn the channel and become absorbed with my privileged and lucky life, it has become increasingly difficult to do so. 

Since becoming a mother, my perspective has shifted. I now see the world though a filter of how things will affect my daughter. How this will impact her life. How it will influence her adulthood. 

I now see tragedies through the eyes of the parents, seeing their children face the injustices of the world. Watching their children experience hurt, pain, and sadness. 

I wish with all my heart that I could shield my child from any pain. I know this is not possible. I know she will experience the world the way I did - and come to learn that life isn't fair and that it is unpredictable. 

I hope though, that she will hold on to the fact that her father and I will always be there for her - no matter what happens. We will be there praying, encouraging, wiping tears, picking up the pieces. We will be there. Always. 

Comments

Popular Posts