5 Steps to Making Life a Little Easier.


Most of my life I have lived for the future. Save money for a rainy day. Plan for a family someday. Put away money for retirement. How often though, do we really live for the here and now?

I think this is something I have been exploring on this blog ever since I started it. Remembering to stay in the moment and cherish what is right in front of you. I think I am trying to convince myself more than anyone of this concept, which is why I write about it all the time. 

I want to live a life in perfect balance of both planning for the future but fully living in the present. Enjoying my family as we are right now - but putting the pieces in place for our family's needs in 10 years.

This is quite a challenge but through my experience with my life coach, planning events, and trial and error I have come up with a few pointers for accomplishing this goal.

1. Make a List: I am the queen of lists. I make lists when packing for trips, for cleaning the house before an event, and to accomplish  tasks in a given day, week, or month, you name it - I will make a list for it. Lists help to keep me focused on the task at hand and it also reduces the risk of missing an important detail. Best of all, lists give you peace of mind. For me, once something is on the list, I can stop thinking about it over and over again and take comfort in knowing that I will get to it eventually - because it is on the list.

2. Start Small: My coach says it all the time: start small. If one of your future projects is to finish the basement that can sound big and daunting. But, when you break it down into smaller steps, the large project starts to seem more manageable.


Instead of "finish the basement in the next year." Start with, "Make a list of all the supplies you will need to finish the project." Then - complete your list week by week. (There I go again with those lists!)

3. Be Specific: If your dream is to go on a trip someday with your husband somewhere exotic, I will tell you that 99% of the time that goal will not be met.


If your goal is to go to Italy with your husband for your 5 year wedding anniversary - the odds of this happening go up.

When you get specific, you can start taking those small steps to see your vision into reality. The latter is a very specific plan that my husband and I are currently working toward. When we made it specific, we were able to start planning little by little, and at the present moment - this dream looks like it will become a reality.

4. Take a Break: Sometimes the lawn will grow a little longer than you want or the laundry will pile a little too high but all for a very good reason: you are busy investing in you/your family now. There will always be things to do and tasks to accomplish. This is life.

You know what else is important? Stopping to show your 1 year old how to build a tower with blocks. Enjoying a beautiful afternoon at the park with the ones you love.  Watching a football game with friends while stuffing your face with chili dogs.

Life is meant to be enjoyed. Sometimes it is OK to let chores sit for a bit while we fuel our mental energy.

5. Enjoy: I have caught myself on more than one occasion partaking in the fun "take a break" activities listed above while my mind is on those items on my list which are not being checked off. The key to taking a break is to actually enjoy  it, or it won't have it's desired effect.

Earlier this year I made a goal with my life coach to do one self-care activity a month. These have included everything from getting a pedicure to taking the time to finish my designated Book Club selection for the month. It may be hard to completely disconnect from life's responsibilities, but I urge you to try to focus on the enjoyment you are supposed to be experiencing and not on the list being neglected.

I think that if you truly stick to these principles, you will be able to enjoy the present while sufficiently planning for your future. 

Comments

Popular Posts