Soft Like Steel

A few years back, my mother wrote a book about her grandmother, Barbara Kennel. She was inspired by the journal she had kept over the years, documenting her marriage, the birth of her children, her philandering husband, and a great move from Nebraska to Iowa in the 1930s. After months of research and interviews of living relatives who were first hand witnesses to the story, she completed "Soft Like Steel." You can purchase it here. :)

The book held a history that was difficult for some in our family to face. It also combined all the tales told over the years into a linear story line. It is cherished by Barbara's children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. I asked my mom if I could publish and excerpt here and if she would be willing to answer a few questions.  Please, read and enjoy!




-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

          She stood by the window wishing that headlights would appear over the crest of the hill. Snow covered the landscape like black shadows on the ground. Barbara wondered if she should call them again. No, his parents already told her that they hadn't seen him all day. Oran simply never arrived. 
           Barbara knew she would not sleep that night, even though exhaustion wracked her body. Her hands traveled unconsciously to her midsection, swelling slightly under her blue cotton dress. The flutters which thrilled her just a week before now filled her with sadness. She shook it off. "No, your father will return. He's ok. He as to be."
           The sun shone brightly on the freshly fallen snow when he kissed her good-bye that morning. "I'll be back by dark," he said. "My dad just needs me for a few hours." His hand lightly brushed her stomach, hidden beneath her plain wool coat. 
           They both smiled, and he got in the car and pulled away. His watch, a prized possession, gleamed in the sunlight as he waved good-bye from the open window. She stood in the road where he could see her waving until she was out of sight. 
          Hours later, standing in the dark room, she realized that Oran was dressed too nicely for working around the farm. For a moment she panicked at the thought. He lied to her!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------


What made you want to be a writer?- I've always been a writer. Even as a little girl I would tell my mother that I was going to write a book. I think being a writer is either in your blood or its not. 
When did you first realize that you were a good writer? Even though I was always passionate about writing, it surprised me when people told me they liked my writing. Finally I began to believe that maybe I was able to do it.

What made you decide to write a book about your grandmother? She would tell me stories about her life when I was younger, and I always wanted to tell her story to the world. When her journal, with her story in her own words, finally surfaced, I knew I had to write a book about her.

What was the most surprising thing you discovered in your research? The most surprising thing I discovered was actually about my Grandfather and how the fathers in his family abandoned their children for several generations. Suddenly, the reasons for the abandonment of his family began to fall into place.

What is one thing you would tell an aspiring writer about writing a book? Find something that you feel passionate about and that drives you to tell the story. Then be ready to do a lot of hard work. Writing the rough draft of my book was the hardest work I have ever done, but my passion to tell it continued to stir me on.

Any advise you would offer to budding writers and bloggers- Again, write your passion and speak from your heart. Seek out those you trust to read your work and give you good advise. Great books and blogs are usually formed in the editing and rewrite, not in the first draft. It is like a sculptor fine tuning a piece of marble into a beautiful statue.

For fun:

Who is your favorite author? I have many, but I tend to love the classics. I think my all time favorite is Charles Dickens.

Do you have a favorite blog you read? I read many, but I'm not sure I have a favorite. I tend to like political blogs, but also enjoy Jen Hatmaker.

What is your favorite television show? I like shows that keep you guessing, like Lost.

Who is your favorite child? ;) All of them

Thanks, Mom!

Comments

Popular Posts