Co-Op Parenting


I always knew I would be a working mother. So, when I found out I was pregnant, I wasn't nervous for a minute to tell my boss. She was so excited for me, which I am sure was made easier knowing that I wouldn't be quitting. Along with being a working mother comes the task of finding someone to help care for and raise your child while you work. 

I admit, this task was very difficult. Coupled with pregnancy hormones and emotions, enlisting a virtual stranger to care for your child 40+ hours a week is a daunting task. So many choices too - in home daycare, a daycare center, nanny. 

Nanny was out of the question because of budget, but a girl can dream, right? 

We visited a daycare center first, which was reasonably priced, but a little out of our way. Since we didn't have to put down a deposit to secure a spot, we made sure to put our names in. After already finding out that a few other day cares were full, we didn't want to chance it. But, a little part of me wanted to also look into at-home daycares. 

That was when I saw the sign in her yard. I made Aaron turn the car around so I could write down the number and call it immediately. Low and behold, she would have a spot open when we needed it, so we set up an appointment. 

From the moment we walked in, Tammy made me feel at ease. Her no nonsense way of talking about how everything works put my worried thoughts to rest. I could envision my daughter safe in her care. We found our place. 

Ella has been in Tammy's care for over a year now and I am so happy we made this choice. She has been a constant source of information and assistance as we transitioned from one stage to the next. The perfect parenting partner for us. She has many year of experience under her belt - and I am new at this. Whenever we encountered new stage, her input helped guide us. 

The best part: she loves Ella. 

I also love that Ella is learning how to play well with other children and making friends. It is nice that she has a place where she can feel at home while we are working to secure her future. 

Daycare can have a bad rap. I believe thought, that if you utilize the expertise of these skilled caregivers, it can be a wonderful collaboration. 

Comments

  1. I think each person's needs are different with childcare. That's great that you found a place that works for you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts