Christmas Traditions



When I think of Christmas, I think of the traditions of my childhood. 


The scent of a fresh Christmas tree just that afternoon cut down during a family excursion to Santa's Woods, the Saturday after we returned from Iowa City from spending the Thanksgiving holiday with my grandparents. 


I anticipate huddling together in my parents' living room on Christmas Eve with all my siblings to watch "White Christmas" while munching on homemade mini pizzas, pigs in a blanket, sliced cheese, and chili cheese dip with chips. 


My mouth drools as I crave freshly baked cinnamon rolls to devour while we open our gifts on Christmas morning. Each taking a turn one at a time going from youngest to oldest. 


And now that we have all grown, moved out of the house, and started families of our own, I love that my family has begun to form new traditions - a combination of both my husband and I's childhoods and new ones which have grown organically. 


The advent candle we receive from my in-laws and burn each evening in December. 


Creating a theme to wrap all my presents in and delighting in the beautiful packages under my tree. 

My husband making his delicious salted caramels and throwing our annual Yule Log party. 

I am sure in the coming years we will continue to build our own traditions while still partaking in many from our respective childhoods. And that is the beauty of the holidays. Family, traditions, memories, and magic. 

Merry Christmas to you and yours. 

Comments

Popular Posts