To Swaddle or Not to Swaddle




Don't worry, this blog is not going to tell you whether or not you should be swaddling your infant child or not. I will not lend personal analysis to the new study that came out this week claiming that swaddling your child increases their risk of SIDS, specifically if said child is laid on their stomach or side. 

Listen, you don't need any more commentary on this subject. You will see plenty of that on blogs, social media feeds, in your circle of friends, you name it... 

The "rules" seem to change each year on the "right" way to parent your children. Sleep on the back, sleep on their stomach, prop them up on their sides, breast is best, formula feeding is the way to go, rear-facing children until age 4. You name it, I'm sure it was the expert recommended way of doing things at one time or another. 

What matters is that you are paying attention to your child's needs. I have said it once and I will say it a million times - no two people are alike, and this applies to children too. No two babies are alike. Ask any parent with multiple children. I know I will learn this lesson in about 6 months... 

I hope you know that if you are seeking out the best way to parent your child, you are a great parent. A fantastic parent. 

My one tip for all parents - be attentive. (And try not to compare). Remember, we are all in this together!

Comments

Popular Posts