I Wasn't Prepared




Some things in life are impossible to prepare for. People can tell you time and again what it is like to do or go through specific situations, but until you actually are walking through it yourself - you truly have no idea how you will react or how you will feel. 

For me, at this season in my life, this includes toddler tantrums. 

I have heard (and even said) time and again that you just need to let them have their fit. Don't give in to their demands no matter what. They will never learn unless you refuse to give in to their fits. They will only learn that they can throw a fit to get their way. 

Easier said than done. 

Can I get an "amen?"

Lately my toddler's fits have become increasingly annoying and hard to not just give into - for my own sanity. 

As an example: Ella is in a phase where she wants us to hold her a lot instead of walk. Well, the more pregnant I get, the more I am feeling it in my abdomen and my lower back. We have to draw a line somewhere and better now than when I absolutely cannot carry her anymore. This results in curled up legs when one of us goes to put her down when she wants to be held. When her legs go limp and I still put her on the ground - this results in an epic tantrum. The other day she cried and cried as we tried to ignore her - eventually she cried/crawled her way up the stairs. 

This is not an advice blog about how to survive a toddler tantrum. Oh, how I wish I had all the answers. This is a cry for camaraderie blog. A selfless cry to know I am not alone. To know this is normal and that eventually it does get better. It does, right?

In the meantime, it's nice to know we are all in this together. And that thought alone makes things a little bit easier. 


Comments

Popular Posts