Beautiful


Lately I find myself staring a my face in the mirror and lingering on pictures I am in. The weird thing is - I am so captivated by how beautiful I am.

I know how that sounds. The truth is, I am so happy to say out loud, "I am beautiful." I know that declaration will be considered conceited by many, and frankly, it doesn't bother me.  

Myself, and many women, can always find flaws with our physical appearance. It's hard to pinpoint when this negative mentality starts, but I do know it is at a very young age. I could place the blame on society - but the truth is, it is human nature to compare and feel "less-than."  

You are so beautiful. 

What striking eyes you have.

What a pretty little girl you are. 

You look wonderful today.

Why did I never believe them? I was told time and time again that I had an enviable outward appearance. But whenever I looked in the mirror, all I could see were the flaws. "Yes, I have pretty eyes - but look at that uni-brow!"

So, what has changed? Honestly, I do not know. I could say it was being pregnant and in turn, becoming a mother. But, I do not know if that is it. I see the bags under my eyes and the one dark spot on my right cheek which came with pregnancy and did not go away. I see the cellulite, the extra skin and bulk on my belly, and the stretch marks. I see my flaws and yet, I am perplexed by the beauty I see in my face.  

I am beautiful.  

I don't know how I got to this point, but I am glad to be here. I hope you can make it here too.  

Comments

Popular Posts